Oregon Jerusalem Historical Society
The Oregon-Jerusalem Historical Society
The society was established in 1963 by a group of local citizens led by Miss Josephine Fassett, a prominent educator and influential citizen. It was incorporated in the State of Ohio as a non-profit organization.
The purpose of this organization is to:
An important asset has been the book History of Oregon and Jerusalem, Vol. I, written
by Miss Fassett. Vol. II, published in 1977, was written from her notes. Limited copies of
both volumes are available for purchase.
Our society was housed in several locations until Brandville School was purchased in
1975. Built in 1882, Brandville School was the first two-story, two-room brick school in
Oregon Township. It closed in 1926 and was purchased by First St. Mark Lutheran Church
for weekly services but was later closed. It remained vacant for 50 years until our
purchase. It had fallen into disrepair, but through the efforts of dedicated volunteers it
was restored much to its original design. In 1994, Brandville School was placed on the
National Register of Historic Places with the United States Department of the Interior.
The first floor houses displays of local artifacts which are changed on a regular basis. It is
used as a meeting room and is available for rent for a modest fee. There is also a large
display of artifacts from the Native Americans who once lived in the Great Black Swamp.
The second floor is the military room. Displayed are artifacts from every major conflict in which the United States has been involved, dating back to 1812 and continuing to the present. Showcased is the 1880 painting by Gilbert Gaul depicting Ohio Volunteer Battery H Artillery at the Battle of Cold Harbor, Va. in June 1864. The painting was loaned to the prestigious Toledo Museum of Art and showcased in 2015 in their exhibit commemorating the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War. There are a number of outstanding artifacts in this room:
- pistol of Peter Navarre, c. 1812;
- uniform blouse of Frederick Nims, close friend of Gen. George Custer, c. 1861;
- infantry musket, Civil War, c. 1870
- officer braid of Col. Samuel Sturgis, c. 1870;
- World War I trench art, c 1917
- World War II medals and memorabilia of local heroes, c. 1941-45;
- World War II Home Front display with recruitment posters, ration stamps, items with "Kilroy was here" and "Rosie
- tributes to seven local young men who lost their lives in Viet Nam.
The exhibit is handicap accessible.
In addition, on our campus is a restored one-room portable school, also listed on the National Register of Historic Places, complete with desks, blackboard, pot-belly stove and other items used in the late 19th century.
A reproduction carriage house contains a replica of a local general store with a kitchen, post office, and laundry displays.
Farm implements, tools and devices used by local tradesmen in a bygone era has recently been developed. Currently being constructed is a display of local fire department artifacts.
The second floor has vignettes of a doctor’s office, barber shop, ophthalmologist office and a sitting room and bedroom. A working pump organ is also displayed.
In 2016, a horse barn was added to the complex. This fourth building houses our life-size dapple gray horses, antique sleigh and related items.
The Society office, library, extensive genealogy files and archival storage are located in our annex, located in First St. Mark's Church next door.
The complex is open each Thursday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. and by appointment. Closed the months of January and February.
Board of Trustees / Oregon-Jersualem Historical Society
Connie Isbell, President (2018)
Betty Metz, Vice-President (2019)
Marilyn Ulrich, Recording Secretary (Appointed)
Betty Metz, Corresponding Secretary (Appointed)
Bonnie Olson, Treasurer (2018)
Dick Isbell, (2019)
JoAnn Flanagan, (2019)
Al Adam, (2019)
George Hart, (2019)
Kathleen Pollauf, (2018)
Vernon Patton, (2018)
Michelle Quilter, (2017)
David Yenrick, (2017)
Linda Wise, (2017)
Kathy Clark, Curator
(Year) indicates the year the trustee’s term expires
The president and vice-president are trustees who are selected by the
other Board Members to serve for a two-year term in that office.